Friday, July 17, 2009

Bumper Sticker

Bumper stickers do one of two things: express a point of view held by the owner of the vehicle or tell you, the reader, to do something. Most of the time we are informed about the persuasion towards jesus/gun control the driver has or are told to recycle or something earth friendly. But today while sitting behind an F150 I was struck with something a bit more profound. A quarter of the cab windows simple read "Get Over It". To the best of my recollection never has a bumper sticker dumbfounded me with such zen like awe. This was perhaps the most provocative bumper sticker sense "go balls deep".

The ambiguity of what exactly "it" is is the key term that sprung me into a battery of self questioning and self discovery. Good christ, why not just let go?
You're in love with one girl and sleeping with another. Get over it.
Writers block has made your shitty writings come less frequent.
Drinking too much, popping too many damn pills.
No motivation to become financial successful.
Shoes are broken, pants full of holes.
Get over it.

I was excited. I was moving on. I was getting over all the things that have been hanging me up. By the time I pulled up to the parking lot of my destination I was tingly with anxious excitement- I'm free, I'm over it, what next?! What next indeed. My grapes turn sour. What are you suppose to do after getting over it? Really I'm no better off, just numb to what ails me. Get over it. That bumper sticker was just a proactive suggestion for cutting me off with out using a blinker.

No comments:

Post a Comment